The new backyard gate

After having the concrete walk done, along the side of the house, it was time to replace the backyard gate, too. That one had been an ongoing annoyance, but I wanted to wait until after the concrrete was finally done. I had toyed with different ideas, particularly a metal gate, but did not want a chainlink gate, although did not outright reject it. A wrought iron gate was more expensive, and leaves the space between the vertical risers open for all to look through. Then, after discussing the various options with a Home Depot guy who was working in the fencing and gate department on the weekend, he showed me something new and different, and it allowed an interesting adaptation. They had a sample gate on display in the store and I was sold. It was the best of both worlds and I bought one. Here you can see how the installation went.


To show you what I had, except for the new metal post that I just added (see next) and a new treated wood 4x4 post on the right, that was rock solid, this gate just had to go.


Before the metal post I had this rotted gate post on the left side, that had to come out and I planned on replacing it with a 2x2 metal post
Using a six foot long crowbar, I levered it out of the ground,


Then dug all of this debries out of the 4x4 hole using the long crowbar and my hand.


Then it was time to 'plant' the new post


This is an off-the-shelf black 5 foot pole, but it's actually 6.5 feet long

The Home Depot people suggested concrete grout for the pole (different from tile grout). It uses sand as aggregate and adheres better.


Two plastic buckets to mix the croncrete. Easy as pie. Both are now absolutely clean again. I had water in one and the grout mix in the other. Screwdriver to mix it up and a trowel to scoop it into the hole and smooth it, when done.


Used a level to make sure that it was vertical in both directions.


So, here's the gate frame box. Strong, durable, and adjustable. The sides slide apart to the width indicated and are held in place by the two 2x4s, top and bottom.


What's in the box.


I laid it all out on a table, and adjusted the width as they recommed in the directions. I had bought a redwood 2x4 for durability.


Since I happen to have a table saw, any saw will do, I used it to cut the 2x4 to the proper length (same: top and bottom)


I moved everything to the garage, thiking to just pop the 2x4s into place and screw the frame together. Not so fast. The more expensive redwood 2x4s are a tad wider and did not fit. I used a file and rasp to taper them a bit and then tapped them into the frame with a rubber mallet. Worked great.


Ready to attach the telescoping rods and screw it all together


I ended up drilling an extra hole on each end of the telescoping rod for added strength


Leverage! You will need drill bits up to 1/2 inch for the hinges.


The hinges went in great, but I hit another snag when I was unable to remove the screws from the old top hinge. So what? It's behind the gate and I simply used my reciprocating saw with new metal cutting blades from Lowe's (Irwin) and then cut the top hinge off with ease.


Yeah, baby. Love them tools.


Next was attaching the redwood pickets to the 2x4s,
and the lock hardware to the metal 2x2 and done.


From the outside, this is what you see. I had to add a
picket to the 2x2 metal post, to close the gap next to the lock and the house.


I used square raingutter retainers from HD to make that happen. With a wood 4x4 gate post this would not be an issue.


Rome, so it is said, was not built in a day, and neither was this. Took, with weather breaks and getting additional parts, four days, but only two days actual work.



3D Home